Mislabelling of CBD products combatted through consumer accountability

enfleur-blog-mislabeling-cbd.jpg

CBD can be found everywhere these days, from gas station gummies to online discount vendors, most of which promising all of the therapeutic benefits of a high-grade product without the required transparency to prove it. ENFLEUR would like consumers to be aware that the importance of transparency cannot be understated when searching for the right CBD product, and this is again evidenced by a 2017 research letter published by the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) which tested 84 different CBD products across three different methods of intake: oil, tincture, and vaporization liquid. It was found that only 18 of the 40 oils tested contained the stated amount of CBD, with 10 being under-labeled, and 12 being over-labeled. Of the 20 tinctures tested, only five contained the stated amount of CBD, while eight were under-labeled, and seven were over-labeled. Vaporization liquid fared the worst in terms of accurate labeling, with only three of the 24 liquids tested containing the stated amount of CBD, 18 being under-labeled, and 3 being over-labeled. Overall, only 26% of the tested products were properly labeled in terms of the amount of CBD present, leaving a staggering 74% either over- or under-labeling the amount of CBD in the product. This is a significant problem with transparency in the industry, being that consumers have the right to know and, therefore, control how much of CBD they are adding to their wellness routine. Although CBD may be more accessible as an impulse-buy or at remarkably low prices through some vendors, it is imperative to investigate a brand and its offerings before purchasing. A CBD product, regardless of the method of intake, is ultimately introduced into the body, which is reason enough to take the time to ensure that comes from a company that is committed to transparency and quality.